Monday, April 30, 2007

Don't Call it a Comeback...


Yo!
It's been a while since my last post as I haven't had very much money to go record shopping and I went on a trip to the Bahamas with my lady and her family. I'm going to try and post regularly again, starting with today's good finds.

My first stop was the Goodwill on Michigan where I found 3 Gil Scott Heron albums, a Milt Jackson Record, and a Smokey Robinson record. If you're not familiar with Gil Scott Heron, he wrote the songs "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", "Home is where the Hatred is", and "Whitey on the Moon". It's very powerful spoken word, black nationalist kind of stuff similar to the Last Poets but not as good. Milt Jackson of course is the vibraphonist from MJQ and the album "Sunflowers" that I grabbed has a few good tracks with Billy Cobham on drums and Herbie Hancock on piano.

After I left Goodwill I hit the Community thrift on edgewater and miraculously found Wu Tang - "Enter the Wu (36 Chambers)", and Boogie Down Productions - My Philosophy (12"). It's always awesome when I find records that aren't really that old like the Wu record because they are usually in pretty good shape- unfortunately this isn't the case with this record. A few of the tracks skip a little but the rest of the albums plays straight through. The BDP record was a cool surprise because I'm a big KRS-ONE fan and that's one of the few BDP songs that I actually like alot.

Usually after these two stores I call it quits but I decided to head to the Community Thrift on Edgewater because I was having pretty good luck. At this store I found Sly and the Family Stone's - "Small Talk", which has the song "Loose Booty" that's sampled in The Beastie Boys track "Shadrach". So today was probably one of the better thrift store record shopping days I've ever had. I'll post the BDP song "My Philosophy" for everyone (the two people who might read this) to check out. Def check out the lyrics in the second verse...BDP and KRS were def at the forefront of the so called "Conscious Hip Hop" Movement.
My Philosophy - Boogie Down Productions

No comments: