Sunday, February 18, 2007

Don't Change Your Love


The first time I recognized the drums in the song I was in 2nd grade and I heard Naughty by Natures', "Hip Hop Hooray". I didn't know too much about hip hop and sampling then, all I knew was that that snare drum sounded amazing. This easily recognizable break has been used by almost everyone; Big Daddy Kane, Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, De la Soul, A Tribe Called Quest and the list goes on. Five Stairsteps are a pretty solid band in their own right, other than this song, you've probably heard the songs "Oooh Baby, Baby" and "O-o-h Child". This song, written and produced by Curtis Mayfield, starts off with the break and leads into lush production complete with full horn line and strings. Other than the break, I think my favorite things about this song have to be the bassline and the bridge with the horn solo. I read somewhere that James Gadson from Charles Wrights band played on "O-o-h Child" and possibly this song but when I researched it, I couldn't find anything to confirm this. Either way, whoever played drums on this track has a monster left hand.
Don't Change Your Love

No comments: