Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Harder they Come



I actually got this record out of my parents’ music collection a few years ago. I'd listened to it a few times a few years ago and thought it was pretty good, but i didn't really have an ear for reggae then. I've learned alot more about the genre since then thanks to a few friends and alot of reading and record buying, and I feel like this is a decent introduction to reggae.

The film is loosely based on a Jamaican folk hero/rude boy named Rhygin and stars Jimmy Cliff. Cliff plays Ivan, a poor youth who is trying to win over a preacher's daughter, make a hit record, and make some money. He sells his record to a pushy producer (who's partner I believe is played by Leslie Kong) for 20 dollars and it doesn't sell much due to lack of promotion from the producer. With no push from the record company and no money Ivan resorts to selling marijuana and I'll leave the rest for you to see. I think my favorite scene in the film is when he gets all dressed up and goes to see the DJ play the record for the first time to mediocre reactions and he is talking to someone and says, "What you think about this record man, I think it's a hit!", to which the man replies, "Ah, it's alright".

The soundtrack is solid and claimed by many to have been one of the records that spread reggae to the United States along with Marley's 'Catch a Fire'. Before these records, most reggae singles sold in the U.K. as novelty records or solely in Jamaican record stores. While Cliff's songs on the soundtrack are good, I think some of the standout tracks are Scotty's "Draw Your Breaks", The Maytals’ "Sweet and Dandy" and their classic "Pressure Drop". My favorite track on the album has to be Desmond Dekker's "Shanty Town". The melody, guitar work and Dekker's smooth voice make this song my favorite track on the album ("Pressure Drop" definitely comes in a strong second though). Either way, all the songs serve as a decent introduction to the genre. Other albums I would recommend checking out for an introduction to reggae are Madlib's "Blunted in the Bomb Shelter", the Island records compilation "This is Reggae Vol. 2", or any of the Trojan Record compilations (Or just read this blog once and a while, I’m sure this won’t be the first post about reggae). I’ve posted Dekker’s “Shanty Town” for your enjoyment.

Shanty Town by Desmond Dekker

No comments: